Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Jealousy and Rachel

Genesis 28 to the end of Genesis 35.

Rachel's story.

Jealousy, Promise, Love, Hope, stealing, Jealousy.


It seems my lesson for this reading is Jealousy.
Song Of Solomon 8: 6
"Place me like a seal over your heart,like a seal on your arm;for love is as strong as death,its jealousy unyielding as the grave.It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. "

There is Godly jealousy, where God is jealous:

1 Corinthians 11:2
"I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him."

However, with freedom in Christ we are told in Galatians to live by the fruits of the spirit and jealousy is a listed as an act of sinful nature.

Galatians 5
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.



Still I understand Rachel's rage.In her story she fell in love with Jacob and he loved her at first sight. She waited 7 years as he worked and earned her affection. When her time finally came, as she dreamed of this day all her life, she was tricked and her love was taken from her by her older sister. Jacob still loved her and worked another 7 years to earn her love.

Rachel Olsen's Blog really tells the whole story of Rachel and gives a better perspective of her life. http://www.rachelolsen.blogspot.com/

I learned that even though I get very jealous at time, especially when it comes to "love" that I am a precious flower. God will give me the desires of my heart, as long as I submit to him. Not to be jealous of anyone because my story is unique.

Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the LORD and we will give you the desires of your heart."

Everyone of us is worth something.

Love.

No comments: