Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Violent Weather



Yesterday was a rough day. No specific reason, I just felt burdened and busy and not at peace. My heart was restless, and no matter I did I could not discipline my self to sit down and read God's word. My prayers seemed meaningless and I felt a wreck. Now I had been talking to God all day in my head, but my thoughts were so much that there was no peace in my head.

I remembered something my mother told me recently, when I shared with her some thoughts of mine. She said right now is when I need to be on guard most. Basically 1 Peter 5:8-9 sums up exactly what she was telling me; "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

I also remembered:
"My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from him" Psalm 62:1
" Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5: 7
"The end of all things is near. Therefore, be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray." 1 Peter 4:7

Therefore, rather than sleeping (which I took a nap before my small group, and still felt restless) I forced myself to stay up till late and sit and read. I was lead to read some verses in 1 Peter 5 pastor Brett spoke of on Sunday. That however led me to read nearly all of 1 Peter. Every verse I read applied to something in my life I was going through. Every different aspect was touched.

From friendships to my daily walk to learning to be the woman God has set me to be. ( my most recent challenge, and after overcoming some HUGE obstacles, it's rather fun and less stressful being the woman He calls me to be instead of being what everyone expects.)

After reading 1 Peter, what I loved most was that some things that have been heavy on my mind , God gently whispered , what I knew He was telling me all day. Even though my mind was clouded; I felt His voice, and when I read it in His word it gave me peace of mind.

As frustrating as it can be, I love that called me to be me. To be a woman for Him.

" Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe in the word, they be won over by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence in your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quite spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way that women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. they were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear." 1 Peter 3: 1-7

2 comments:

Kenneth Alexander said...

good stuff.

Sharon said...

We have moments like that don't we. There are times I too feel a bit overwhelmed. We are having bad weather here too, right now. and I need to get off here alot of lightening. we need this rain really bad. God bless you my friend, try and read more of the word when you can, satan hates that you know!!
Huggsss